You’ll reap unlimited benefits when you switch from highly-processed products to plant-based skincare — especially if you have sensitive skin. Vegan and organic creams, oils and tinctures use natural botanicals, like CBD, herbals, fruits and other health-boosting ingredients instead of chemicals. This is particularly helpful for people with allergies or skin conditions — but it can improve everyone’s skin health.
Read on to discover the top five benefits of using plant-based beauty products.
1. Plant-Based Compounds Support the Skin’s Natural Barriers
While petrolatum is FDA approved, it’s a potentially harmful product that can clog up the pores. When manufacturers cut corners to save money, they might use imitation petrolatum, which is even more damaging.
Lip balms and moisturizers tend to contain petrolatum. But, they don’t enrich the skin with moisture as you might expect. Instead, they form a barrier that prevents moisture from getting in or out, which will eventually make the skin dry.
Plant-based products like CBD skincare products contain natural lipids and esters that reinforce the skin’s existing defense barrier.
2. Nourishing Organic Vitamins and Minerals
The best vitamins for the skin are C, D, E and K, all of which can provide incredible anti-aging effects. Although you won’t find vitamin D in over the counter products, look out for ingredients containing the other three skin-loving vitamins.
- There’s a layer of vitamin C on the outer layer of your skin, and it’s necessary for the production of collagen, so don’t miss out on the benefits from this superfood for your skin.
- Vitamin E protects the epidermis against sun damage by absorbing harmful UV rays and can make up for lack of sebum in individuals with dry skin.
- Vitamin K is essential for healing, helping with stretch marks, spider veins, dark spots, scars and circles under the eyes.
3. Naturally Anti-Aging Antioxidants
Plant-based cosmetics are rich in antioxidants, which combat free radicals and strengthen the body’s cells. Antioxidants arguably have better anti-aging properties than many chemicals, which could be harmful to the skin over a prolonged amount of time. For example, siloxanes are often present in skin creams. These are certified as detrimental to fish and other wildlife, which makes us suspicious of putting it on our skin.
4. Skin Protection From Essential Fatty Acids
Omega 3 and omega 6 play a vital role in the proper functioning and appearance of the skin. These fatty acids are found in many plants and provide lavish benefits for your skin.
5. Vegan Products Are Excellent for Sensitive Skin
If you’ve noticed that certain skincare products give you rashes, you might have allergies or you could have sensitive skin. Propylene alcohol in cosmetics can make skin irritation worse, so make sure you avoid it if you’ve noticed to get skin flare-ups regularly.Your skin — and the planet — are better off if you use natural plant-based products instead of mass-produced beauty products that are high in chemicals.